Friday, June 27, 2014

Sicily Caesar

Original Title- "Beware the Ides"

Review from 2010:

Sometimes when you've decided you're going to eat at every independent pizza place in town, you get a little stuck, especially towards the end of your designated time line. It was last Sunday and I had no idea where to make the next stop. There are places like Davinci's and Mafiaoza's that a lot of people want to hit up with me and there are a lot of places that I wouldn't dare ask of anybody due to geographic location or simply because I know it's going to be bad. There are also some places that are carryout only, which works great on a night where I've got a lot of things going on and there are some places that I just have no idea how to get to and certainly wouldn't be able to help any of my friends make it there. Sicily Caesar in Metrocenter falls into that last category. On GoogleMaps, it's just a dot off the main road and when you do street view, it doesn't show up at all. It's just a picture of random store fronts in the former waterfront mall. So, I head over there not even really expecting this place to still be in existence and not really knowing where exactly I'm going. I pulled into the first entrance I saw and began driving around the building. Just as I was about to give up and head on my way, I saw it on my right behind a small line of trees. Tucked away in the back of the complex next to a BBQ place stood Sicily Caesar. The next question on my list was if they were open or not. I got out of my car and walked towards the dim store front and walked right in. It was totally open for business and we were the only ones there! I think it took a second for the employees to realize that a customer was actually in the store, but they did and I went ahead with my order. Large pepperoni and 2 fountain drinks would do the trick.


I left the counter to get my drink and there was no ice in the machine. I drank a little bit without ice anyways while one of the guys replenished the ice. Surprisingly, while we were waiting, another customer walked in to pick up an order he had called in. That would turn out to be the only other customer we saw the entire time we were there. The pizza arrived at our table in a reasonable amount of time and looked pretty standard. I could almost taste the pizza by looking at it and smelling it. I really wasn't expecting any surprises out of this one. As you can kind of see in the picture, it seemed as though one side of the pizza was cooked a little better than the other side. The crust was pretty thin, really soft and without much flavor. The sauce was your basic tomato pizza sauce, nothing fancy. The cheese and pepperoni both tasted really cheap. This stuff was definitely coming out of a bag in a cooler. I think the worst part, though, was when I took a big bite of seriously undercooked pizza. The cheese was still relatively unmelted and in big strands. This ruined the whole thing for me. I try not to hit these out of the way indie places so hard, but I can't handle uncooked food. I may have ended up with bad luck and maybe all their pizza isn't like this, but I don't think I will ever find out.


Sicily Caesar is located in a weird back corner of that white and blue building that used to be a mall and now houses the art college in Metrocenter. Their official address is 2200 Rosa L Parks Boulevard. They are open super late through the week which is a major plus. They're open 10:30AM-4:30AM Monday through Saturday and 4:30PM-Midnight on Sundays. They also have a lunch buffet on weekdays. A large pizza with 2 drinks ran us $17.50 which is a little pricey considering the quality and competition around town.

No comments:

Post a Comment