Monday, June 30, 2014

Venito's

Original Title: "Back to the Music City"

Review from 2010:

After a fantastic field trip to the homeland it's now time to get back to the mission at hand: conquering Nashville one slice at a time. The next stop was a pre-STALLION dinner at Venito's on Church Street across from the Downtown YMCA. I've passed this place several times while surrendering money to Elecman over the past year or so, but never made the stop. It was now time to explore the unknown. We walked into the small storefront to find 3 of Metro's finest inside dining, which to me was the first good sign. Cops know food. Venito's also has a pretty sweet mural on the wall that stole my attention more than a few times. Venito's actually reminded me a bit of pizza places I've been to in New York, except way bigger of course. I ordered my standard which I got as part of a special they're running right now where you can get a large pizza with up to 3 toppings for $9.99. That plus a 20oz bottle and 12oz can came to somewhere close to $14 or $15. The first thing I noticed about the pizza when it came out was that the slices were really small, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I usually prefer bigger slices, but when it gets to that point towards the end and you want just a little bit more, it's easy to grab another small slice. The crust was good and crispy without being too dry. The pepperoni was pretty spicy, definitely spicier than Picnic Pizza and the sauce wasn't really sweet, it was more tomotaoey if that makes any sense. The pizza wasn't overly greasy either. The whole thing was kind of like Roma Pizza but just a step above. Given the choice, I'd take Venito's for sure. I think it's good pizza and it's pretty cheap, plus it's right downtown so there's no driving out to the 'burbs to get good pizza.
They have pretty standard pizza hours. They're open 11am to 11pm Monday through Friday and 5pm to 2am on Saturday. I heard that they might be open as late as 5am, but these are the hours posted on their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment