Thursday, July 3, 2014

Gyros Pizza

Original Title: "We Don't Need Another Gyro"

Review from 2010:

On a very hectic Monday evening it was time for another take-out pizza. This time I made the drive out to Hermitage to give Gyros Pizza a try. I noticed Gyros when I was on my way to Picasso Pizza after my day in Lebanon. I went into this with no expectations of greatness. I already had in my mind that this would just be a quick necessary stop that I needed to mark off my list.

I rolled into the tiny little storefront and ordered a medium pizza to go. When I got in there I noticed that they did actually have a dining room, but I had already made up my mind for carry out. Plus, I had a busy night ahead of me so dining in wasn't really an option. I put in my order and began to wait. I was expecting to be there for at least the next 15 minutes, but I was in there for exactly 11 minutes. I ordered at 6:43 and was at the door at 6:54. I only noticed this because I had so much to do and time was essential. Usually my wait times are just total estimates.

On the drive home I ran into some pretty sweet Monday Night Football traffic so I had to rack my brain and find an alternate route that would at least get me home a little bit quicker. I rerouted myself through some industrial areas of town that I frequented during past employment and headed towards home. On the drive I ran into some heavy game traffic anyway as I still had to go by the stadium, so I began to get pretty hungry. I went ahead and started in on the pizza even though I hadn’t had a chance to photograph it yet. By the looks of it, I knew the pizza wasn’t going to be very good, but I had no idea how bad it would really be.

This pizza showed its true colors with the first bite. The crust was really thin and flimsy which made for a pretty messy slice that was extra hard to eat in the car. It was also pretty flavorless. The sauce on the pizza was almost stomach turning. It seemed to be a bit acidic I guess from the tomatoes used. Thankfully it was used pretty conservatively. The cheese on the pizza didn’t even seem to be thoroughly cooked, which wasn’t a total surprise given the super short wait time. That was definitely a stomach turner. I don’t do so well with undercooked food, especially when it comes to pizza. The pepperoni on the pizza was extremely cheap tasting. It was like something from a budget grocery store such as Aldi or Sav-A-Lot. All of this combined was making the drive home especially frustrating and stressful. Too many cars, too few detours, and too terrible of a pizza. Maybe this place is better at the first word in their name, but I think they need to go ahead and give up on that second word.
 
Also on the negative side of things for this place was the price. My tiny little medium pepperoni pizza ran me $11.35, which is way higher than any other place in town that I’ve noticed. I think that even beats out Sir Pizza, which is notorious for high priced “food.” Gyros Pizza is located at 5751 Old Hickory Boulevard, where it crosses Central Pike in Hermitage. They’re open 11-10 daily. Have fun and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment